June 21, 2009

ARISE African Fashion Week 2009

L'or d'Afrique by Auditions

L'or d'Afrique showed a lot of neutral colours, especially coffee (I would say earthy, but there is just a lot more richness about these beautiful creations to call it earthy).

In addtition to the rich colours, there was also a lot of statement jewelry - mostly in gold.

Leather corset belts teamed with feminine pieces made me very excited about what we might see in shops in S.A.
Note how I lay emphasis on the word "might"...

Another global trend I noticed in the L'or d'Afrique Audtions Collection, was the abundant use of nude. This makes me very happy since a lot of S.A. designers feel the overwhelming need to use Shwe-Shwe in their designs, and I don't think it's necessary to use "out of Africa basics" in order to be original.

*****


Abigail Keats

Abigail Keats also showed a lot of neautral colours. We saw ruffles and mini's are also something that haven't left our shores.

*****


Heni

Musculine lines, feminine prints, neutrals, high hemlines and bows. I'm happy.

Oh, and Heni Este-hijzen just had to throw in this gorgeous ruffle piece - who would have thought that our very own designers had so much range?!

*****

David Tlale

The genius David Tlale really needs a permanent spot in Paris Fashion week - the man has talent!!

He has also incorporated the nude/rich coffee flavour into his collection. A bit of boho chic, and a touch of fifties vintage - how could I not be entirely giddy.

And the best for last - Mr Tlale is responsible for my favourite piece of this year's AFW.

I am tottaly in love with this satiny flowy jumpsuit - strange since I usually hate jumpsuits.

I a truly happy that South-African fashion is alive and kicking - you guys make us proud!!


Thank you: Simon Deiner / SDR Photo, Henry Wesley
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: